Unpublished Work © 2011 Cristina Carlino
CEW Women in Beauty Series – West Coast
Couldn’t make it to the event? Well now you can connect with it anyways! On Tuesday, June 15th, Cristina Carlino, founder of philosophy, shared her insights, anecdotes and recommendations with Jill Scalamandre, CMO, Chrysallis, and CEW Chairwoman, to over 300 attendees at “Top 10 List: How to Build A Beauty Brand,” a CEW Women in Beauty Series event.
The discussion was held at the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica, CA. Attendees had the opportunity to network with colleagues at an informal, pre-event cocktail reception followed by the moderated program.
Some great quotes from Cristina and her Top 10 List:
“A brand, in my opinion, is based on the people who create it, co-create it, and help it grow. The “culture” of the company is the primary foundation on which any great brand is built.”
“There is plenty of room at the top, it’s the bottom that’s crowded”
“The product has to be a game changer”
1. Innovation, Efficacy and elegance. Are you innovation driven, price driven or service driven and why you can’t be all three?
2. Consistency, quality control and excellence. Why people don’t go to a restaurant once they have had a bad experience?
3. Authenticity, messaging, packaging. Why you need to be first rather than a fast follower?
4. Staying on brand message: tell the story and stick with it. Why you need to limit the amount of fingertips touching the brand?
5. Distribution strategy. Masstige versus prestige?
6. Supply chain and staying in stock. Product needs to be on the shelf based on supply, operations, and margin.
7. Merchandising and education. Inquiring minds need to know. Sensory people need visual stimulation. Everyone likes “law and order”
8. Multimedia and social networking. Why is hearing the customer and telling them the truth so important?
9. Philanthropy. What does the customer care about? What does the company care about? Why?
10. Building employees and customers and rewarding them in big and small ways. How?
At CEW’s Women in Beauty Series, leading women offer insights into beauty industry issues and inspiration for professional growth. This event was generously sponsored by Kaplow PR, Kolmar Laboratories, Nyx Cosmetics, Ungerer & Company, Nordstrom, Ole Henriksen, Neutrogena, Stila Cosmetics, Ouidad, Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare, WWD BeautyBiz, MaCher and Fairmont Miramar Santa Monica Hotel.